Provide legal counsel and support to senior management and staff under the direction of the EVP/CLO, as part of fast-paced in-house legal team.
DUTIES, TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:A. General Legal Daily Contract Development, Drafting, Review, Editing and Management (Domestic and International)
At the direction of the EVP/CLO, develop, draft, review, edit and manage domestic and international contracts in and across all subject matter areas including: purchase and supply; distribution; blending, manufacturing and storage; shipping and transportation; warehousing; private labeling; customer and vendor (including indemnities); advertising, marketing and promotions (including agency agreements, contests, sweepstakes and talent/sports sponsorships); services (including consulting and independent contractor agreements), employment and benefits (including non-competition and non-solicitation); non-disclosure, finance and credit (including guarantees); and software and intellectual property licensing.B. General Legal Mergers, Acquisitions, Joint Ventures (Domestic and International)
Assist the EVP/CLO and in-house deal teams in managing all legal matters in the areas of mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, joint ventures, deal negotiation and development including participating in all related drafting, due diligence review, document and data room organization, outside counsel management and all other transaction management matters.C. General Legal Daily Legal and Business Counseling and General Corporate
Assist the EVP/CLO in providing daily and on-goinglegal and business counseling to senior management and all staff members in and across all subject matter areas including: general corporate (including corporate secretarial functions and foreign and domestic entity formations/management); sales and marketing (including counseling on current and proposed laws and regulations); regulatory and compliance (including product labeling requirements and review); operations (including procurement, shipping and transportation); finance, credit and accounting (including counseling on bankruptcy issues); and labor and employment. Also assist EVP/CLO in: developing and maintaining company policies; managing outside counsel; legal spend budgeting; and developing and coaching law department staff.DIRECT REPORTS:
EVP/CLO; SVP/GC/Secretary; other Senior Counsel; Director Risk Management; Paralegals; Legal Executive Assistant; Senior Management; and Management and staff in all business units.External:
Outside counsel; Domestic and international government entities; Vendors; and Customers.
SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Law degree from accredited university/college.
- Licensed and in good standing to practice law in Illinois.
- At least7 years experience as a practicing attorney.
- Mandatory experience in the following areas:Contract Development, Drafting, Review, Editing and Management; Mergers and Acquisitions; and General Corporate Matters.This includes the management of litigation, claims and enforcement actions related to these areas.
- Experience in the following areas helpful:sales and marketing; regulatory and compliance; procurement, shipping and transportation; finance, credit and accounting (includingbankruptcy issues); licensing; and labor and employment.
- International experience preferred.
- Litigation experience preferred.
- Experience in the automotive aftermarket products field preferred.
- Experience in the consumer products field preferred.
- Experience in legal writing and research required.
- Demonstrated attention to detail.
- Highly organized, efficient, pro-active, and independently motivated. Must display a can do attitude and be able to work in a very fast-paced and customer-focused environment.
- Superior interpersonal, written, verbal communication and team skills.
- Proficiency in one or more foreign languages helpful (Spanish; Portuguese; Mandarin)
- Excellent computer skills including knowledge of Microsoft product suite and WESTLAW.