2020-21 Executive Assistant to the CEO
Collegiate Academies in New Orleans, LA
- Industry: Administrative/Clerical - Executive Secretary
- Type: Full Time
- Compensation: $42,660.00 - 63,000.00 / Year*
Summary of Role:
The Assistant to the CEO is responsible for supporting Collegiate Academies CEO Ben Marcovitz to maximize his ability to accomplish our organizational goals. This role is designed for someone who is hungry for growth and eager to learn what it takes to run a high functioning, urgent, mission-driven organization in the context of the New Orleans education and broader national landscape. This person must operate in lockstep with the CEO to meet his needs, anticipate his needs, execute on his behalf, and take on extra projects that will support the mission of Collegiate Academies.
We are looking for a high-competency professional interested in growing their understanding of organizational leadership, day to day operations of a successful charter management organization, and the broader education landscape locally, regionally, and nationally. Ben chooses to treat this position as more than an assistant role he chooses to treat this as an apprenticeship in leadership. Ben's assistant will be exposed to current issues facing our education system locally and nationally and to different functional roles within the organization. Previous people who have been successful in this position have gone on to grow into leadership roles within Collegiate and/or at partner organization.
Role and Responsibilities:
- Direct Support to the CEO
- Manage the CEO s calendar and provide all administrative support.
- Manage all daily phone and email communication on the CEO s behalf.
- Communicate directly with partner organizations on special projects, including leaders at the Louisiana Department of Education, New Orleans Public Schools, charter operators around the city and beyond, and other influential organizations within education.
- Ensure his direct reports, teammates, and collaborators hear from him within 24 hours. Keep sensitive correspondence and information confidential.
- Ensure the CEO fosters positive, close relationships with the network office staff and all his external partners in spite of a busy schedule.
- Ensure the CEO is 100% reliable in following through on his next steps.
- General Network-Wide Support
- Ensure all team members get what they need from the CEO to be successful.
- Hold team members and direct reports accountable to the deadlines and goals set with the CEO.
- Manage logistics and follow up for network office events for which the CEO is responsible, including board meetings. Set up special events and group meetings including invitations, food, reserving space, setup, cleanup, and materials production.
- Coordinate performance evaluations for network staff.
- Special Projects
- Support strategic network-wide initiatives in tandem with the CEO.
- Take on individual projects as assigned by the CEO to support organizational growth and goals.
- Directly support major projects led by other network staff, including the Chief Operating Officer, Chief Academic Officer, Chief Talent Officer, and Chief of External Relations & Development.
Mindsets, beliefs and skills:
- Unwavering belief in the potential of all young people to achieve rigorous and dignified academic, professional, and personal success.
- The ability to coordinate, prioritize, and manage a variety of diverse and challenging tasks and systems while managing multiple priorities and working with ambiguity.
- Acute attention to the smallest details to ensure smooth, predictable, and effective outcomes.
- Exemplary communication skills (written and oral) and the ability to communicate with a wide range of clients and constituents, including scholars, parents, vendors, teachers and teaching candidates, national education reform groups, and donors.
- Experience working directly with people from diverse racial, ethnic, and socioeconomic backgrounds.
- Ability to maintain professionalism, confidentiality and discretion on a variety of sensitive topics.
- Superior initiative anticipates potential snags and plans for them. Takes instruction well, but does not wait for it.
- Strong service orientation who feel accomplished by being behind the scenes running everything for the CEO.
- Ability to think strategically and innovatively in order to constantly be maximizing the CEO s time.
Backgrounds and experience of previous successful Executive Assistants has been varied. We encourage candidates with different types of experience to apply, for example:
- Someone with 2-5 years of professional experience in education or the social sector, looking to grow skills, gain exposure, gain leadership skills and mentorship for their future career.
- Someone with 8-10 years of experience and/or with a Master s Degree looking to make a transition into a purpose-driven organization, who can apply their deep skillset and experiences to achieve results in the role while figuring out their place in the social sector.
- Someone who has taught for 2+ years and is looking to step out of the classroom for personal or professional reasons and who wants to remain closely connected to schools and students.
- At least 2 years of professional work experience.
- Compensation and benefits package will be commensurate with experience with a salary ranging from $50,000 to $65,000, based on experience.
- Potential for the role to be located remotely.
Application Deadline: We will be accepting applications for this role until March 8, 2020, at midnight. Selected candidates will then be informed and invited to interview.
Please submit a resume and cover letter. In your cover letter, please explain how you heard about Collegiate Academies and your interest and qualifications for the position. In the application, you will also be asked to answer the following questions. You may want to plan your answers in advance of beginning the application:
- Why would this position be an excellent next step for you in your career? What are your long-term goals and how will this job help you get there? (2-3 paragraphs recommended)
- Of the core responsibilities of this role, what do you think will give you the most energy? Why? What will drain you of the most energy? Why? (2-3 paragraphs recommended)
- What is your greatest strength as a professional? What is an area of growth as a professional? (2-3 paragraphs recommended)
Collegiate Academies encourages individuals of all identities and backgrounds to apply for this position. We are an equal opportunity employer, fully committed to hiring a talented and diverse group of individuals. Collegiate Academies does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, creed, color, national origin or ancestry, age, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation, marital status, veteran status, disability, or any other category protected by applicable law. In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification form upon hire. Being authorized to work in the U.S. is a precondition of employment. Collegiate Academies does not sponsor employment visas.
* Estimated salary